Login Name  Password

Sweet Home 3D Forum

No member browsing this thread
Thread Status: Active
Total posts in this thread: 3
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Post new Thread
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 112 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Peppyy

USA
Reply to this Post  Reply with Quote 
Cutting an angle on flooring and lumber

Greetings all. I was wondering if there is an easy way to cut an angle on a sheet of plywood or a base plate? Working with hexagons, so 30 and 60 degree mostly.

BTW, I found and imported the lumber library after creating nine from a cube. Nice to have realistic ones to work with!

Thanks in advance.
----------------------------------------
Who said you can't do it.
I don't listen to Who anymore.
[May 7, 2024, 1:17:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Keet
Advanced Member

Netherlands
Re: Cutting an angle on flooring and lumber

Greetings all. I was wondering if there is an easy way to cut an angle on a sheet of plywood or a base plate? Working with hexagons, so 30 and 60 degree mostly.
You can't bisect an existing object with Sweet Home 3D (you can with Blender). But you can create a shape with the 'Create 3D shape' tool under the tools menu.

It starts with a box.
Lower the four Z values that are >0 to the thickness of your plywood.
Adjust the four X values that are >0 to the length of your plywood.
Adjust the four Y values that are >0 to the width of your plywood.
If you check the preview you now have a full sheet format.

Now you can up the X value of the points 4&8 to cut an angle (or lower the X for points 3&7, or use another edge to adjust). In the preview you can see if you have it correct.
When you have the correct dimensions click Ok and the shape appears in your 2D pane. Set a wood texture and you have your sheet of plywood.
As long as you don't close Sweet Home 3D the last values remain in the Shape tool so it's easy to restart the tool to create a new shape starting with the previous values.

Since you are working with hexagons there's another option you might find useful. One of the latest plugins that came available is the Regular Room plugin. To create a hexagon you set the number of sides to 6. This tool will create a room object that you can export and import to use. Make sure you have a level with elevation > 0 and before export switch of the ceiling display on the room object. Import and you can adjust the size and set a plywood texture.
One problem with using a room is that the sides might not texture correctly but since it's a sheet of plywood you will barely notice the sides.
[May 7, 2024, 3:00:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
Peppyy

USA
Re: Cutting an angle on flooring and lumber

Thanks Keet. I am using blender quite a bit, and since the cuttoffs work out to all be the same, I will probably just create my sheets and sill plates with that and import them.
Have a couple of days of rain coming, so I will play with it then. ;)
----------------------------------------
Who said you can't do it.
I don't listen to Who anymore.
[May 7, 2024, 5:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post    View Member Profile    Send Private Message [Link] Report threatening or abusive post: please login first  Go to top 
[ Jump to Last Post ]
Show Printable Version of Thread  Post new Thread

Get Sweet Home 3D at SourceForge.net. Fast, secure and Free Open Source software downloads

© Copyright 2006-2024 eTeks - All rights reserved